FAQ Page

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Petition To Add (PTA) policy for the ARE department?

PTA’s will not be issued for ARE classes. The following do not qualify as exceptions to this policy:

  • Classes dropped due to non-payment of fees

  • Classes dropped accidentally

  • Time conflicts with other classes

  • Missing your Pass 1 registration opportunity, even if it occurred at an inconvenient time

  • Deciding after Pass 1 that you want to change your schedule

  • Completing a Managerial Economics Minor

  • Circumventing course restrictions


What is the Pass/No Pass policy for the Managerial Economics major?

All upper division core and restricted elective courses must be taken for a letter grade, Pass/No Pass grading is not accepted. All preparatory and major English requirements can be taken Pass/No Pass.


What is the change of major policy for Managerial Economics?

Students who wish to change their major to Managerial Economics must be in good academic standing, have a major GPA above a 2.000 if applicable, and complete the following courses with a C- or better:

  • ECN1A

  • ECN1B

  • STA13

  • MAT16A-16B-16C OR MAT17A-17B OR MAT21A-21B

Does the Managerial Economics Department accept ECN 100A and ECN 100B as replacements of ARE 100A and ARE 100B?

Current Managerial Economics majors may not take ECN 100A and ECN 100B in lieu of ARE 100A and ARE 100B.

We will accept ECN 100A and ECN 100B if a student completed these classes before changing majors to Managerial Economics.

If a student completed ECN 100A and ECN 100B and has exceeded 120 completed units toward graduation, we will not accept a change of major to Managerial Economics. 


If a student cannot get into their desired courses during Pass 1, what should they do?

They should waitlist the course during Pass 2 and look for alternative courses.  It is also recommended to seek advising, either peer or staff, to update their academic plan in order to stay on track.


What is the difference between Managerial Economics and Economics?

Managerial Economics is a mixture of business and economics while Economics is a traditional Economics degree. Students in Managerial Economics may choose from four emphases: Business Economics, Environmental and Resource Economics, Agribusiness Economics, and/or International Business Economics. Economics students choose from six tracks: Behavior & Strategy, Data Analytics & Economic Analysis, Economic History, International Macro-Finance, Poverty & Inequality, and Policy.

Managerial Economics is a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CA&ES) and is located in the Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE) department, while Economics is Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in the College of Letters and Science (L&S). Both majors require preparatory courses in principles of micro- and macroeconomics, calculus, and statistics. In addition, Managerial Economics requires a business law class (ARE18), one basic computer class (PLS 21, ECS15 OR 32A), two accounting classes (MGT11A &11B), and an upper division statistics class (STA103) to complete the preparatory course work.

Both are STEM majors.


What career paths are there for Managerial Economics students?

Managerial Economics students are prepared for many diverse careers, however the majority tend to go into the following fields:

  • Accounting

  • Consulting

  • Data Analytics

  • Marketing & Sales

  • Finance & Investment Banking

  • Human Resources

  • Management

  • Entrepreneurship

Managerial Economics students also seek graduate/professional degrees in Economics, Business Administration, and Law.


When should students begin taking upper division major classes?

The quarter in which a student starts their upper division coursework depends on their preferred graduation date and completed prerequisite classes.  Generally, students begin to enroll in upper division classes in the spring quarter of their 2nd year or fall quarter of their 3rd year.


Does a student’s major GPA matter?

Yes, a student’s major GPA does matter. The student must have a 2.0 major GPA in order to graduate. The major GPA includes all upper-division major core course requirements and all upper-division restricted electives (this includes ARE/ECN courses with F grades that have not been repeated).  There are recruiters and graduate programs that require or prefer a gpa over 3.0.


Is there an internship requirement for the major?

No, there is no internship requirement for the major. The department does offer credit (ARE 192) with a maximum 2 units per quarter.  Students must complete a paper at the end of the quarter, 5 pages for 1 unit of credit and 10 pages for 2 units of credit.  Students who would like their internship cited on their transcript should contact the Internship and Career Center (icc.ucdavis.edu).  For more information, please email manecon@primal.ucdavis.edu.


What is the difference between Staff and Peer Advisors?

To meet with a Staff Advisor, students must schedule an appointment online, at least 24 hours in advance. Staff Advisors are professionals who assist students with: academic/graduation plans, academic planning forms (APF) for athletes and veterans, major/minor declarations, academic difficulties, transfer work, graduation requirements, and questions regarding the undergraduate program.

To meet with a Peer Advisor, students may drop-in on the same day they would like an appointment.  Peer Advisors are junior or senior Managerial Economics students who have been trained to create academic plans and share their own knowledge and experiences with fellow students. A Peer Advisor can assist with: academic planning, checking progress in the major, and answer specific questions regarding the content, structure, and demands of ARE classes.


Does the Managerial Economics major meet the unit requirement for graduation?

No, the Managerial Economics major does not meet the minimum 180 unit requirement to graduate from UC Davis. The major itself is only 99-101 units.

The student must use non-major classes to complete the remaining 79-81 units.  Non-major classes will include general education, and possibly minor, and/or an additional major (i.e., double major).