UC Davis Managerial Economics

Frequently Asked Questions

Common Questions About the Managerial Economics major

Why are Managerial Economics courses listed as ARE?

The Managerial Economics major is housed in the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics within the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CA&ES), therefore our courses have been named for the department - ARE.

How often should I see an adviser?

Students generally check in once or twice per year, but if you have questions don't hesitate to email or come in. You may drop in for peer advising (academic plans, choosing classes, quick questions, etc.), or make an appointment with a staff adviser online to discuss specific issues. For general education and other College of Agriculture & Environmental Science requirements, visit the Dean's Office in 150 Mrak Hall or call 530-752-0108.

What do I need do to declare a double major?

Petitions for double major can be found at students.ucdavis.edu under the "forms and petitions" tab.  Be sure to schedule an appointment with an adviser prior to completing this form online. 

Can I double major in Managerial Economics and Economics?

No, since there are too many classes that overlap.

Can I study abroad and have some courses transferred?

Yes, however, the courses and the maximum units allowed must be approved by the Managerial Economics Department Undergraduate Office before you leave to study abroad. Also, see the Education Abroad listings for courses that have previously been approved for the major.

How do I complete a Minor in another subject area?

Minor programs range from 18-24 upper division units. It is best to speak with an adviser from the minor program in which you are interested to discuss prerequisites and completing the requirements within the 225 unit maximum.

Common Questions About Classes, Registration, and Grades

How many units should I register for my first quarter at UC Davis?

On average you should plan to take 13-15 units per quarter (39-45 units per academic year) to maintain minimum progress. We recommend that you do not overload yourself during your first quarter so you can become accustomed to the 10-week quarter system, advanced level of courses, and your new lifestyle.

Once you begin taking upper division courses, it is recommended that you schedule the core classes (ARE 100A, 100B, 106, 155, and ECN 101) for completion in your junior year, that you review and follow prerequisites, and sequence your courses appropriately.

What if I haven't taken one of the prerequisites listed for a course?

The prerequisites for ARE courses are strictly enforced in order to maximize your chances for success in the class. It is your responsibility to be familiar with the prerequisites of courses you want to take so that you can fit them in your study plan. This and other important information can be found in the UCD catalog.

I am trying to register for an ARE course and I'm getting a major restriction notice. What's happening?

ARE core courses (100A, 100B, 106 and 155) are restricted to majors during Pass 1 and to students in the College of Agricultural & Environmental Sciences during Pass 2 appointments. These restrictions are removed during Pass 2 open registration so you can register or add yourself to the wait list (check the Registrar's website for specific dates). Other ARE classes that have restrictions during Pass 1 are open to all majors during Pass 2. We do not waive restrictions.

If a class is full can I get a PTA (Permission to Add) number?

It is ARE department policy not to increase the maximum enrollment in our classes, therefore we do not issue PTAs for full/closed classes. You can put yourself on the wait list via SISWeb, and it is best to have an alternate plan in case you do not get in. Being on a wait list does not guarantee you will be added into the class or be issued a PTA. 

How will I know when my final exams will be held?

You can check the final exam date and time for each course when you are registering in order to avoid having multiple final exams on the same day. This information is on the Registrar's website, in the Class Registration Guide and in the Class Search Tool.

What is the deadline to drop ARE classes?

Most ARE classes have a 10-day drop deadline (the 10th day of instruction) - check the Class Registration Guide on the Registrar's website for classes with this deadline and the date of the 10th day of instruction. After this deadline, the only way to drop a class is to petition for a PTD (Permission to Drop) in your college Dean's Office. Departments do not issue PTDs.

Effective Fall Quarter 2012, instructors no longer have the option to issue an ENWS/NS (Enrolled No Work Submitted) grade - if you are enrolled and do not submit coursework you will receive an “F” for the class, so it is important that you drop any unwanted classes before the drop deadline!

What courses will be offered in Summer Session?

You can check the Summer Session website for this information.

Internships and Career Fairs

How do I find Internships?

The Internship and Career Center (ICC) is located in South Hall and offers an array of services and events to help you move forward with your career before you leave UC Davis. We encourage you to visit them in person and online to discover what they offer, including career fairs, workshops, internship opportunities, transcript notation for internships, and much more.

In addition, Managerial Economics Student Services sends ARE majors emails that are received from employers and companies who have internships or positions available.

Also, watch for information on the Student-Alumni Career Day which is offered by ARE in fall of each year.

Common Questions from Transfer Students

Can I graduate in two years?

Typically, if students follow their study plan, they are able to graduate in two years. However, the time it takes to graduate depends on each individual's situation and the actual units of completed transfer course work.

How many units can be transferred from my community college to UC Davis?

The maximum number of transferable units from a community college is 105 quarter units (70 semester units). If you go beyond that you will receive credit for the class, but not units towards graduation.

Should I take ARE 100A and/or ECN 101 my first quarter?

We recommend that you plan to complete your core classes during your junior year.  We do not want you to overload yourself during your first quarter, so be sure to work with an adviser to plan your courses to meet your academic goals over the next two years.

Is it possible to complete a double major in two years?

It is important to meet with an adviser from each major that you are considering to work out your study plan. If the two majors are in different colleges, you are responsible for meeting the requirements of both colleges within the 225 quarter unit limit. Also be sure to check the catalog for additional policies and guidelines.

I listed courses on my application that I planned to take over the summer, but my plans have changed - what should I do? And what if my school can't get my transcripts here by the deadline?

Contact Admissions: call 530-752-2971.

Contact Us

1176A Social Sciences and Humanities
University of California, Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616

Student Advising Services: 530-754-9536

Agricultural and Resource Economics Main Office: 530-752-1515